10 secrets in negotiating a salary.
Successful negotiation is not about getting a 'yes'; it's about mastering 'no' and understanding what the path to an agreement is.
I love the word negotiating… Lol, I remember negotiating with a friend of mind into accepting my point of view on why she should buy my product.
Negotiation is everything.
Is the art of letting the other side have your way.
What is negotiation?
Negotiation is a strategic discussion that resolves an issue in a way that both parties find acceptable. In a negotiation, each party tries to persuade the other to agree with his or her point of view. By negotiating, all involved parties try to avoid arguing but agree to reach some form of compromise.
Hahaha, you want to negotiate your salary with your boss?
Trust me it’s gonna be a great experience. But don’t do it too early or too late and remember; During a negotiation, it would be wise not to take anything personally. If you leave personalities out of it, you will be able to see opportunities more objectively.
Let’s walk through the 10 secrets together:
1. Don’t try to negotiate in or via email or text:
One-on-one conversation aids better understanding and gives quick feedback also, it indicates sincerity and builds attention.
2. Be confident and practice before time:
Maintain eye contact, talk boldly and believe in what you want. It doesn’t matter if you know how, what truly matters is your persistence.
3. What contributions have you brought to the company:
Let him or her( the CEO) know your worth to the company, your contributions that are part of the success of the company. How you have handled the company’s problems cooperatively or individually and brought solutions.
4. Speak from the fact not feelings:
Don’t say things you are yet to achieve, present your achievement working in that company. You have to give some real facts about why your salary should be increased.
5. Ask questions just don’t make statements:
- Sir, how do you feel about my request?
- What do you think of my efforts for the company?
- How can I upgrade the company more?
6. Set the agenda:
Write down your aim that is to be achieved.
7. Don’t be needy:
I will be more comfortable with so so amount…
It shows gratitude.
8. Become more valuable:
- Acquire new skills on a regular basis. I would suggest creating an annual learning plan for new skills.
- Stay on the leading edge of innovation. Look for new skills in demand in the company or your area of expertise to increase your value.
- Try a skill mashup.
9. Upgrading your skills:
Upgrade your skills by bringing in more money.
Years do not equal results… Efforts do.
10. Paint a picture in the CEO’s mind:
When you get NO as an answer, turn it into a question and say…
Sir/ma, I want to generate revenue for this company, I want to be your most valuable team so if you can give me so so amount… I will generate more for this company because, for me, this is a career, not a job, and I want the success to continue. That’s my goal.
But, two heads are better than one so sir/ ma….
- Can you teach me what it takes to earn more amount?
- What are your expectations?
- What are the problems you still don’t have solutions to?
Then the CEO tells you and you reply…
Let’s just pretend I could achieve these expectations, would you be able to pay me more??
Would you be able to revisit these topic??
Depending on the process of the communication.
“Lions don’t concern themselves with the opinions of sheep”.
You have to be ahead of your CEO’s thinking….
Everyone has a soft spot so if you think you have a tough CEO then you have to be tougher in getting their attention. Find that spot.